Focused On God
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Focused On God

Home of the Fuzzy People

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Might as well...

Go down 
+2
DMac
Zero
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2006-08-29

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2006 12:15 pm

I guess there's no reason to not introduce myself. Very Happy

I'm Brandon, 19, a sophmore in college. I also work 50 hours a week at two jobs, one technical support and one is office/financial work.

I was told about FOG by Holly, whom I met through FYG and we've also hung out before at Starbucks when she came through here on her way to LA once.

I live in Texas, and I'm darn proud of it. lol

Christian, definitely. Conservative Republican when it comes to politics. I'll debate you until we're both blue in the face about anything I know something about Wink and have a good time doing it... lol.

Speaking of which, if I ever appear to be getting "mean" or something in a debate... well that's not intended. I can have a huge argument with you on here and have absolutely no hard feelings about it. So don't worry about that if I smash you into the floor on occasion... although that's not a habit of mine. Wink

Anyway, look forward to hanging out with you guys. Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/da_man1111
DMac
The Fix-it Admin
The Fix-it Admin
DMac

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2006-09-04

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2006 3:56 pm

hey
Back to top Go down
guitargurl
Ninja Girl
Ninja Girl
guitargurl

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2006-08-27

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyMon Sep 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Yesss! And he's the mighty Texan!
Back to top Go down
http://focusedongod.tripod.com
Zenblend
Zenblend

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2006-09-15

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 15, 2006 7:44 am

Don't worry, you can't out debate me.
I'm Alaskan, remember?
Back to top Go down
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 15, 2006 5:07 pm

I'm sure that we'll find out Z... lol.
Back to top Go down
Zenblend
Zenblend

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 15, 2006 5:51 pm

Quick, give your stance/reasoning on the long-term effects of video games on children.
Back to top Go down
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySat Sep 16, 2006 1:03 am

Entirely depends upon what kind of game and exactly how much exposure the child gets.
Back to top Go down
JesusFreak07

Number of posts : 44

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySun Sep 17, 2006 12:16 am

Yeah I know what you mean. Mario really messed my childhood up bad!
Back to top Go down
Zenblend
Zenblend

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySun Sep 17, 2006 1:23 pm

I love this guy's stuff.

Just the awesomest parenting guide ever wrote:
John Rosemond
When video games first came out, I warned my readers that they were not appropriate for children. I maintained they were not games; rather, they produced stress and were addictive, literally. It was not a popular stance. Even my home paper, The Charlotte Observer, wrote an editorial critical of my position. Since then, my opinion has been confirmed by research, and hundreds of parents have shared with me their negative experiences with these nefarious devices. Their stories go in my "I Told You So" file. The following, written by the mother of several young children, is the latest addition.

The parents in question have always limited television-watching to weekend nights. Furthermore, their children have very few toys and those they do have are traditional and promote creative play (e.g., Lincoln Logs, "Legos"). The kids spend lots of time doing arts and crafts, inventing things, and making up games. For the most part, they get along very well. They have their squabbles, but they are rare and brief. The older children get good grades in school, do their chores without protest, and are respectful and obedient.

A while back, Dad said he wanted to buy the kids an X-Box for Christmas. Mom resisted at first, saying she'd heard that kids can become addicted to video games and that playing them can lead to aggressive behavior. In fact, the research indicates that those outcomes are fairly common. Nonetheless, Dad continued his campaign, and Mom finally relented. They agreed that the kids would only be allowed to play for a few hours a week.

Things started out fairly well, but went rapidly downhill. The children quickly became obsessed with their new "toy." Within a week, the first thing they were asking when they woke up in the morning was "Can we play the X-Box today?" When they played, there would be fighting and tears. When the parents turned it off, the kids would mope around and complain of having nothing to do. Were these the same children who, pre-X-Box, had never had a problem entertaining themselves? Actually, they were not the "same" children at all. They were beginning to exhibit addictive behavior, and as anyone who has ever lived with one will testify, an addict and the former non-addict are two entirely different people.

"Then," Mom writes, "my 5-year-old started telling me he didn't like school and didn't want to go. He even cried one morning. Only a few months previous he had loved school and couldn't wait to go. Needless to say, I was very alarmed.

"Keep in mind that my kids used to wake at 6:00 am and immediately dress and head down to their craft area to start building things and playing together. They always found ways to entertain themselves and I used to watch them and be amazed at how many different things they could dream up and how many games they could invent to play.

"I talked to my husband and he admitted he was beginning to question the wisdom of our decision. So we packed up the X-Box and put it away. There were some sad faces at first. This morning, however, we were all in the family room; my husband was reading the paper, my boys were all building a huge tower with their magnet building blocks and laughing and talking. It was just like it used to be on weekend mornings in our house."

I said to my husband, "Isn't this so much nicer than, 'Can we play the X-Box'" He said he was thinking the very same thing.

Mom ends her story with a warning to all parents: "I firmly believe that video games are dangerous to children and families. Do not buy one. You cannot control it."

Yep. I told you so.

And before you get all angsty about it, I play far more video games than you do.
Back to top Go down
JesusFreak07

Number of posts : 44

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySun Sep 17, 2006 5:05 pm

you like to say "angst" a lot, don't you?
Back to top Go down
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySun Sep 17, 2006 6:29 pm

Two thumbs up on that quote!
Back to top Go down
Zenblend
Zenblend

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySun Sep 17, 2006 6:56 pm

Yes, I do.

Do you like to ask facetious questions?
Back to top Go down
beautiful_annihilation
beautiful_annihilation

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyThu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 pm

I don't play video games.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in! Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/beautifuloblivion07
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 22, 2006 1:03 pm

beautiful_annihilation wrote:
I don't play video games.

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in! Like a Star @ heaven

Good for you, I don't either.
Back to top Go down
guitargurl
Ninja Girl
Ninja Girl
guitargurl

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 22, 2006 1:44 pm

The only vgames i play are...red faction, call of duty, battlefield 1942... stuff like that. =)
Back to top Go down
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 22, 2006 2:42 pm

Yeah I used to play Rise of Nations and Red Alert 2 quite a bit on the computer... I like the strategy stuff... but I decided about a year and a half ago that I was wasting my time playing those games and that time could be much better utilized doing other things. I haven't played a computer game since.
Back to top Go down
guitargurl
Ninja Girl
Ninja Girl
guitargurl

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 22, 2006 4:53 pm

Well aren't you holy!!

Haha, j/k j/k.
Back to top Go down
beautiful_annihilation
beautiful_annihilation

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2006-08-28

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptyFri Sep 22, 2006 5:23 pm

Once in a while I used to play Halo and Halo2 .... but yeah
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/beautifuloblivion07
Zero
keeps us all in line...
keeps us all in line...
Zero

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... EmptySat Sep 23, 2006 2:06 am

guitargurl wrote:
Well aren't you holy!!

Haha, j/k j/k.

ROFL!

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Might as well... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Might as well...   Might as well... Empty

Back to top Go down

Might as well...